Welcome - Who We Are
The Maine Mathematics Science and Engineering Talent Search Program provides CEU courses, mathematics competitions, programs interactive exhibits, shows in libraries, schools, museums, resort areas from pre-K to adult learners. The Maine Mathematics Science and Engineering Talent Search Program, founded in 1998, is an interdisciplinary program dedicated to the development of learning mathematics through variety of programs and approaches.
What began as a program in correspondence problem solving quickly expanded its capabilities into four other areas: 1) problem solving programs for younger students; 2) after school junior engineering and mathematics programs 3) teaching modular origami to all ages from Kindergarten; 4) CEU courses for teachers and college students to combinatorics and computational geometry a completely novel and unfortunately often misinterpreted area in the State of Maine, but internationally an important field from medical research to architecture to computational geometry.
The MMSETS Programs Points of Pride Include:
- Nomination of the founder, Eva Szillery for the 2000 National Science Foundation PAESMEM Award by MIT Professor Seymour Papert
- Starting the teaching of Modular Origami in the Context of Mathematics and Engineering in Maine
- Eva Szillery receiving the University of Maine Pulp and Paper Foundation Educator Recognition Award in 2005
- Teaching CEU courses for in-service teachers in Singapore Mathematics and the Harkness Method
- Due to the potential benefit as way of identifying talented students, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of the University of Maine has been supporting MMSETS by the way of providing graduate and undergraduate help to the MMSETS Program.
This site allows you to get familiar with our work, download the brochures of our programs and registration forms, and keep up with the latest news from the MMSETS and associated organizations in junior engineering and mathematics.
Making engineering and problem solving part of the culture, bonding to the community with engineering initiatives, career preparation, increasing the aspirations of students are benchmarks in creating a high quality place that attracts and retains workers who create knowledge or use knowledge to create new products, processes and services.
MMSETS IS PLEASED TO OFFER INDIVIDUAL AND SMALL GROUP TUTORING, FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
For over 16 years, the Maine Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Talents Search (MMSETS) has been offering a variety of mathematics, engineering, and problem-solving enrichment classes for children and adults alike. MMSETS has offered after school and vacation workshops for children, problem solving competitions, workshops for children and adults, and continuing education and curriculum development classes for teachers. MMSETS is pleased to now offer individual and small group tutoring for students in grades 3 through 16! Specialty area include arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, discrete math, and probability and statistics.
ANNOUNCING FALL 2015 PROGRAMS!
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 3-5) - Kennebunk - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 6-8) - Kennebunk - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 3-5) - Falmouth - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 6-8) - Falmouth - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 3-5) - Hampden - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Enrichment Mathematics (grades 6-8) - Hampden - Fall 2015
- NEW!! Junior Engineering - Bangor - Fall 2015
Information and Resources for 2014/2015 AMC Competitions!
The American Mathematics Competitions is the longest running and most prestigious Mathematics Competition in the United States. The mission of the MAA's American Mathematics Competitions is to increase interest in mathematics and to develop problem solving skills through a fun competition. Students benefit from the chance to challenge students with interesting mathematical questions that are aligned with curriculum standards at all levels of difficulty.
Click here for more information on the competitions and resources to help prepare for the competitions!
CEU Courses available!